What’s happening in the Yukon?
- The Government of Yukon, along with Yukon Housing and Yukon Lung Association have been actively working to develop radon services and awareness in the Yukon.
- November 2018, the Yukon Lung Association purchased some test kits and made 205 of them available for free in communities outside Whitehorse – in Whitehorse they worked with Home Hardware and made test kits available for $10. They also did a direct mailing based on a Health Canada poster. They don’t have follow-up numbers, but they do know that 200 kits were picked up from the Home Hardware in Whitehorse.
- Spring 2018, the Government of Yukon tested radon levels in Yukon schools for 3 months.
- Yukon Health offered free testing to all licensed child care centers and are helping to fund the mitigation of the handful of facilities that tested high. They and are still moving forward with the legislation to mandate this testing.
- Yukon Housing tested over 600 units, of all their staff and social housing (detached homes) this year.
Do you know of radon initiatives or events happening in the Yukon? Is your municipality doing something related to radon? Share your event!
Radon in the news:
- “Radon levels above Health Canada guideline in 21 Yukon government buildings, tests show,” CBC, November 2019
Or check out other provinces
Government of Yukon
Government of Yukon have been actively working to raise awareness on radon. They are involved in testing their workplaces, child care centres and schools for radon.