November is Radon Action Month in Canada. Throughout the month of November, we’ll be urging Canadians to Take Action on Radon, and empowering you to do the same with your own network Whether it’s by testing homes, schools, or workplaces, spreading the word about radon, or actually mitigating buildings where the radon levels are high, there are many ways to Take Action this November.
This year’s Campaign is titled “Plan to be Here”. #PlanToBeHere
Why? Because testing for radon is investing in the future. Whether that future is the travel plans we’ve made for retirement, being present to play with our grand-kids, or all the milestones along the way. When Canadians test their homes, schools or workplaces for radon, they’re planning to avoid the entirely preventable lung cancer that is caused by radon exposure.
Unlike other household dangers like carbon monoxide, radon doesn’t affect our health right away. Due to the long latency period of lung cancer, the health effects from long-term exposure to high radon levels are only likely to be felt years down the road.
Why is Latency important?
That time delay doesn’t make testing for radon any less important. After all, think of all the other ways we invest in our future: whether it’s making healthy decisions every day, healthy eating choices; being active; retirement savings, education plans; even a daily multi-vitamin is only effective when taken long-term. No matter what our plans for the future might include, they’re nothing without the health to enjoy them.
So this November, we ask: ”Why do you Plan to be Here?”
Join us in raising awareness on Take Action on Radon and the #PlanToBeHere campaign.
We’ve developed various resources to support your radon awareness efforts this year:
2018 – Take Action on Radon Toolkit:
- Video – create your own #PlanToBeHere video. Need inspiration? Check out these sample scripts: Video scripts resource version
- Radio Script – interested in advertising on your local radio? Feel free to use this sample script to help (we will be running radio ads in select cities across the country, so check out the chart below to see where and when they will be airing)
- Share stories – talk with people in your community who have tested and fixed; ask if you can share their story with others
- Sample Social Media post ideas
- Sample Press Release
- Radon Poster/Postcard Kits:
- Share your Event/Idea/Initiative with us
- Don’t forget, the Radon Reduction Sweepstakes is running again this year: spread the word to encourage homeowners to Take Action and reduce.
Radio Ads will be running November 5-23, 2018 on the following stations:
Winnipeg – CJOB 680 and BOB 99.9FM
New Brunswick – XL96FM, CKMA 93,7; CJPN 90,5; CHQC 105,7; CHOY FM
Whitehorse – CKRW 96.1
Edmonton – CHED 630