Date(s) - 2021-11-24
9:30 am - 12:00 pm
BC Lung hosts a Annual Radon Workshop every November mobilizing stakeholders and researchers to address action on radon, the leading cause of lung cancer after smoking.
WHEN: Wednesday, November 24 | 9:30 to Noon PST
PROGRAM: Agenda and speaker list coming soon.
9:30-9:35 Opening Remarks – Chris Lam, President and CEO, BC Lung Foundation
9:35-9:50 Year in Review – Dr. Anne- Marie Nicol, Simon Fraser University
9:50–10:30 New Issues in Monitoring and Surveillance
- The BC Radon Data Repository and Map – Initiatives to Support Research, Planning, and Public Awareness – Mr. Jeff Trieu, BC Centre for Disease Control
- Combining Community Smoking Rates and Radon Concentrations to Determine Radon-related Risk in BC – Dr. David McVea, BC Center Disease Control
- Survey on Radon Public Knowledge and Awareness in BC – Javis Lui, BC Cancer Agency
10:30 – 10:40 – Trivia Contest /Break
10:40-11:20 Building Codes and New Technologies
- Radon in Water: What You Don’t know – David Ines/Alan Whitehead, Radon Environmental Corporation
- National Research Council and Studies of Radon Control Measures – Grace Zhou, National Research Council
- Assessing Building Code Implementation: Stories from the BC Interior – Chantal Wilson, Little Bear Engineering
11:20 – 11:25 Trivia Contest
11:25 – 11:50 New Developments in Radon Policy
- Real Estate and Radon – Sarah Kennedy, Coldwell Banker Four Season Real Estate, Vernon
- Why Climate Action is Our Best Bet for Addressing Radon – Noah Quastel, BC Lung Foundation
11:50 – Noon Trivia/Announcement of Winners/Closing Remarks
REGISTER: To register click here.