Take Action on Radon is a national initiative, funded by Health Canada, to bring together radon stakeholders and raise awareness on radon across Canada. The current advisory team is made up of the Canadian Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (CARST), CAREX Canada, and the Canadian Cancer Society.
The success of this initiative hinges on the participation and dedication of hundreds of radon stakeholders coast to coast. From radon professionals and community champions to radon researchers, public health officials, and programs at the municipal, provincial, and federal levels: radon awareness is a team effort.
As a team, we have conducted a review and identified areas of diversity which are lacking in our current initiatives and as a result we have recognized that we are missing resources to support Métis Canadians. The goal of this project is to identify ways to build radon awareness and lung cancer prevention within the Métis community. We would also like to evaluate current barriers to radon awareness, types of housing and community structure in Métis communities in Canada.
We are looking to engage with a member of the Métis community in Canada to research a pilot project with the purpose of working with Métis community representatives to develop an action plan to raise radon awareness and testing rates within Métis communities.
This project would help to achieve the following goals:
- Receive guidance from the Métis community to shape future actions of radon awareness in Canada.
- Develop communication tools to build understanding and awareness of radon and its link to lung cancer and the need for radon reduction.
- Identify stakeholders who could help with communicating the message.
- Identify supports currently available or needed to make radon mitigation accessible.
- Year 2020-2021: Work with a member of the Métis community to develop a pilot project.
- Year 2021-2022: Support our Métis contact in rolling out the pilot project developed in 2020/2021.
We estimate this project would be a multi-step project of approximately 400 hours over the next 12 months, with the following project objectives:
- Develop background presentation for our Take Action on Radon team regarding the Métis people experience in Canada; help us understand a little of the history, culture and current day spectrum of Métis people across Canada with respect to housing;
- Identify stakeholders for Take Action on Radon to work with to develop and roll out a collaborative community based radon awareness project;
- Identify goals for that radon awareness project;
- Develop a workplan for the radon awareness project;
- Review the workplan with Take Action on Radon and identified stakeholders
- Implement the workplan.
- Write a reflective report on the workplan completed.
The ideal candidate would be an individual who has or is currently completing post secondary education; has a capacity to work independently, has network/contacts within the Metis community and previous experience working in project development/research.
Please forward your letter of intent and resume to the Take Action on Radon team at email@example.com by August 30, 2021.